If you are rejected by Malaysia, there is still hope!!!

Rejected locally, accepted abroad
Source: TheStar Online, 08/06/2008

AFTER obtaining my Bachelor’s degree (with First Class Honours) from Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS), I applied for an academic position (tutor) at the same university. Sadly, I was rejected.

I then applied for a full scholarship from the European Union (EU) and was successful.

I graduated with a Joint Diploma European Master’s degree in water and coastal management, with an overall ‘A’ grade from Universidad de Cadiz in Spain, and Universidade do Algarve, Portugal.

Upon my return from Europe, I applied for a job at the Sabah Wildlife Department. Once again, I was rejected.

I then applied for the Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris' fellowship scheme (PhD and lectureship), but was rejected too.

What made it worse was that I had applied for a lecturer’s post in UMS, where I had studied, and was known for my abilities.

For the second time, I looked abroad.

I applied for doctoral scholarships internationally and was offered the Asian Youth Fellowship (AYF) programme, as well as a scholarship from a Canadian University.

Under the AYF programme, I will spend seven months in Osaka for my Japanese language training (sponsored by Japan Foundation).

After that, I will be assigned to the University of Hiroshima to do my doctoral degree (under the Monbukagakusho or Japanese Government scholarship).

What I wish to say to fellow Malaysians who excel academically and deserve help to further their studies is this: if you fail to get a scholarship locally, don’t lose hope.

Look beyond Malaysia – there are many international scholarships out there. These are awarded based on merit and they offer students lots more opportunities.

UNRECOGNISED MALAYSIAN

Via e-mail

0 comments:

Designed by Posicionamiento Web | Bloggerized by GosuBlogger | Blue Business Blogger